Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Summer Wardrobe

Yesterday I spent an ungodly amount of time in Target (as usual) and came out with three new T-shirts and--finally!--a pair of skinny jeans. Real skinny jeans, that is; not jeans in some kind of ridiculous color like red... Cause I already have those.*
The skinnies are a classic dark wash and not so tight that I feel like I need scissors to cut myself out of them at the end of the day. The T-shirts are in neutral colors (grey, black, and grey/white striped) so they'll go with a lot, and they're soooo comfy. I think I'll get a lot of use out of everything I just got, and that had me thinking: What's my basic summer wardrobe starting to look like so far? Well, take a peek:

First off, some cute skirts:
Two of these skirts used to be dresses! The light blue was originally a dress from ModCloth, but I didn't like the way the top fit so I hacked it off. I also cut the top off the floral one, which I guess you could call vintage (I found it in my little sister's closet) because it didn't fit. The short black one and the dark blue one (it has pockets!) were both thrifted.

Next is a summer staple: shorts.
Two of them were formerly jeans; I turned them into cut-offs this spring, and cuffed the dark-wash ones (I think they came out the best). The green pair were thrifted and are pretty high-waisted, so my boyfriend makes fun of me for that; but if you like a look, who cares what boyfriends think, right? I know mine isn't exactly a fashion expert, anyway.

I also have blazers for chillier days, or when I want to look a little bit more spruced-up:
Both thrifted. The one on the right is corduroy, I think, and the one on the left has pink or light red stripes:
I love little details like that.

My most-worn shoes will probably be these brown Oxford flats and strappy Vera Wang heels (still no sandals yet, I'm sorry to say):
Flats from Target (online) and heels from Kohl's (also online).

And some colorful, fun shoes will also probably make a lot of appearances:
Blue wedges from Kohl's, yellow flats from Target, blue flats from I-have-no-idea-where-and-they're-so-old-they-have-holes-that-my-toes-peek-out-of, pink heels from T.J. Maxx.

My handy trench coat (probably more spring or fall than summer, but it's been chilly a lot lately):
From H&M ages ago.

Two of my shortest, prettiest dresses:
The lace one is vintage that I hemmed from calf-length to above the knee, and the floral one is from Target.

My two main nail colors this summer are probably going to be red and silver:
Not sure where the red is from but I just got the silver from Target.

Some fun, red skinnies:
From Target months ago on clearance.

And more sensible skinny jeans that I'll probably wear a lot on the cooler days:
Just got them from Target for $12.

And here's my favorite comfy, basic tees--most in neutral colors.

The grey one ($8), one of the black ones ($5), and the grey-striped one ($13, the most expensive but sooo worth it) are the ones I just got from Target. The others I've had for a while so I'm not sure where they're from.


Also they're almost all v-necks, with a few scoop necks. I hate T-shirts that basically just circle the base of your throat, like sports T-shirts. They look awful on me. I need to show some neck and collarbone!

So there you have it. I'll also probably be lugging my big brown bag from Kohl's around most of the time--and wearing lots of sunscreen, of course. Now tell me: What's your wardrobe like this summer? Is it mostly basics that you depend on regularly throughout most of the seasons, or are you springing for a whole new look? I like mine because I feel like most of it will serve me well all the way through fall, as well.

*See previous post for more info on the red skinnies!

No comments: