Friday, April 30, 2010

Art, Aspirations, and Etsy

Yep, I'm doing it again. I listed some art prints on my sadly empty Etsy shop, Swallow Light Bulbs, and have once again started the long, sad wait.... hoping for someone to stumble onto it and maybe like one of my prints and actually give me money for it. I'm going to really give it an effort this time, though. Last time I just sort of put up four or five items and then sat around doing the sad hoping thing. THIS time I'm going to put up a whole load of stuff, maybe even things other than prints, and I'm going to try to spread the word so people will actually find my shop.

This came about for two reasons:

1. I've been planning to paint a lot this summer anyway.

And 2. I just got a pack of business cards for 6 bucks. It was fun to design them and I figured why not? Of course, I needed a business, so that's where my little etsy shop came in.

So, I guess my plan is to stick those cute little cards everywhere once they arrive, put up a bunch of things in the shop, and tell everyone (on the Internet and in the real world). Maybe I'll actually make some money this summer? We'll see. I'm not usually very good at self-promotion; it makes me feel so guilty! Oh well. Wish me luck!

Oh, and here's the prints I have up so far:







They're all about $15 bucks. I hope that's not an outrageous price; but it's my artwork and I think it'd look pretty enough on someone's wall, so I felt justified in charging a little more than ten bucks.

I'm also going to try and add other things, like masks, paper dolls, and I'd love to do a custom painting or portrait for someone. And of course there'll be more prints soon.

If you liked what you see, rush on over to www.etsy.com/shop/SwallowLightBulbs, cause you know it's all gonna be gone in like, a day. Ha.

If you have any Etsy advice for me, leave it in the comments! :)

No comments: