Thursday, April 15, 2010

Two Cool Sale Finds

New York & Company is having a huge, 70% spring sale, so I went over to check it out and found two awesome things for serious cheap (although I didn't get them; sad, but this is just pretend shopping).

First off, I have an ongoing list of wardrobe staples that I need to acquire, and on that list is a pencil skirt. NY & Company has this one on sale for 5 measly bucks!

It'd be great for when (...okay, if) I get a rather serious job and need to look professional. Of course, since that hasn't happened yet, right now I'd just use it for job interviews or presentations for class. Here's my 'formal/workwear' look based on the skirt:

So, first I did the basic white button up with a slightly slouchy but fitted blazer. Then I added some fun accessories, like the awesome pink and black bag and shoes to liven things up a bit, the silver clock ring for a bit of subtle jewelry, and tights with a quietly sexy line running down the back. It's a professional outfit with a subtle but sexy feminine twist.

Now, although I know with spring on the way, winter's the last thing we want to think about, I couldn't resist doing a casual winter outfit. To me, grey pencil skirts look awesome with slouchy cardigans and sweaters. Here's proof:

Hot! So here's my take (a bit more casual):

I simply couldn't pick one sweater, I love all of these. They all have a fun, quirky element to offset the more serious, simple skirt. After finally choosing just one sweater (or maybe piling them all on at once, if it's really cold out--I won't judge, I've done it!), you could finish off the outfit with a black braided belt, black tights, a big ol' bag, and some sweet boots. The bag and boots here are vintage, as well as that crazy pink sweater that I probably shouldn't love so much but do.

And finally, if you wanted to wear this skirt in the summer (or fall), here's how I'd do it:

It's still sort of a classy look, thanks to the pencil skirt, and so it's hardly realllyyy casual. I'm now thinking this might be more of a fall look; I love the military style cardigan and the way it goes with the red shoes, but I think for spring, I would probably go with lighter colors. And why would you need a cardigan in the summer? Damn. That's a fall look.

Sooo, I went back to the drawing book (oh, the things I do for this blog), and came up with this for warmer weather:

Now, we've got some bright, cheery pastels. Yes, that shirt has little pineapples all over it. How adorable is that, right? I'll admit that the green, striped stockings are not for the faint of heart, or the easily over-heated, so you could always ditch those for a simpler, slightly cooler outfit.

I also saw these awesome pants on sale there for 8 bucks:They're tapered pleated pants, and I really like them. I dislike the recent frenzy for those awful drop-crotch, harem pants and the sort; but this is a much classier, flattering way to follow the trend. They'd also be great for that non-existent, professional job I mentioned earlier. And, for 8 bucks, why the hell not? I'd buy both the pants and the skirt in a heartbeat if I only I had more than 15 bucks on my debit card right now. A wasted opportunity! I'm telling you, I won't be able to sleep for a week because of this. Oh well.

No outfits for the pants, sorry. It's nap time for me. I'll be back with travel outfits, as promised, perhaps later today.

No comments: