Friday, April 16, 2010

Fashion Inspiration

Lately, I've been inspired to try to figure out what exacty is "my style." It's gonna be hard, because I like all kinds of different clothes and styles. I know what isn't my style, certainly--bohemian, gothic/emo, and college student (you know--the dreaded Uggs/leggings as pants/college sweatshirt combo) all don't appeal to me. However, I enjoy a wide variety of other styles. Sometimes I like to look really girly, with a flowery dress and cute shoes; other times I'm into a preppy or classic look, with a button-up shirt and skirt; sometimes I try (try being the key word) to look punky, with red skinnies and lots of black and my hair looking just the way it did when I woke up. But I see other people who seem to know what their style is, have it down to some very specific formula, and stick to it. You could describe their style in one way, and in a way, it sort of describes their personality at the same time. I'm jealous.

For example, there's two girls that I constantly see on campus that have very distinct styles. One is in my 8 o'clock English class. She's hard to ignore, with long, crazy red-brown hair (curly isn't the word for it; it's just a series of hairpin turns all the way from her scalp to her back) and what I guess is sort of a tomboy/punk style that she manages to make look sexy. She often wears shorts with big manly boots, I believe she has a brown leather jacket, often sports a big brown slouchy bag (of the kind that I covet), and she always, always has tons of colorful bangles and bracelets on her wrists and huge cocktail rings on her fingers. It's an interesting look; not like really crazy, but definitely stands out from the rest of the students' wardrobes. I get the feeling that she has a lot of unique pieces, like her jewelry and things like a crazy patterned, green and blue pair of pants she wore once, but she tones that down with a lot of brown and simpler pieces. Oh, and she also has a crazy, huge pair of glasses that make me think of Professor Trelawney when she's wearing them. Anyway, here's some examples I found that sort of resembled her look, although not perfectly--it was hard. But she had similar boots to these:
I could see her wearing those shorts:

As for the other girl, I always see her in the Old Library, which mostly houses the Anthropology Department, I think. It's a big, dark, drafty and old-fashioned building, and it suits her perfectly. She has a very specific style that she never wavers from, and it's definitely unique from the rest of the college kids here. She's very romantic gothic looking, with long, pale blonde hair and very flowy outfits. I almost always see her wearing white and black: a long white dress or skirt with a long black coat over it. Sometimes she adds dark blue or brown, and sometimes she wears really wide-legged, flowy pants. But that's all the variation I've ever seen. It's very simple and beautiful, and I've wanted to copy her look for ages. Somehow, though, I don't think it would work as well for me--which is why I have to find my own look. Anyway, here's what I could find to reflect her style. Both pictures are just flowy, long white dresses with heavy black coats over them:


(In reality, the dresses she wears are longer than that. She always wears floor-length dress/skirts. )

So, what do you think of these two girls' styles? Which would you prefer? Do you know what your own style is?

2 comments:

Mishabelle said...

Lovely post! Both of those girls' styles look amazing. I am quite envious of people who can just find their style and stick with it! I adore far too many looks to just be able to pick one. One day I can look like a retro pin-up, the next day I will look like a forest flower child! But, I think that as long as you dress in a manner which pleases yourself, then it's all good! :)

Kelly said...

Thanks! And yeah, I think you're totally right. It'd be nice to have something to call "MY style," but for now I'm happy being a chameleon, fashion-wise :)