Saturday, November 20, 2010

What I Wore: Then and Now

Earlier today I was looking through old family photos and realized something: My fashion sense has evolved a LOT over the years. Up until I started college and cut my hair after my freshman year, I was never very interested in fashion (and now, obviously, I'm very interested). I realized I just had to share some of the very worst outfits--and haircuts--of my past on here. Enjoy!

This was when I was probably around eleven or twelve. (I'm Godzilla, by the way.) As you can see, I was quite the tomboy. Dresses and skirts were not for me.

This was me and my other younger sister (who is now actually taller than me), probably around middle school or junior high. That is a terrible, terrible shirt, but the skirt isn't bad at all. The sad thing is, I was way more proud of the shirt.

This one is from early high school, probably freshman or sophomore year. Slacks, bulky sweaters, and ponytails were a daily thing. I was all about the studies, okay? (Seriously, I was working on a research paper in that picture. This was before I found out that the Internet could be used for fun and not just information.)
This is from the beginning of my senior year. I wore that t-shirt the majority of the time as a proud memento of this summer program that I had just attended. Also, holy crap my hair was long.


And this is the end of senior year. I remember it because it was prom weekend, and I'd spent that Saturday/Sunday at my grandparent's lake cottage with my then-boyfriend/prom date. Obviously my interest in my appearance had taken a nosedive along with my studies. Or perhaps I wanted to appear badass (notice the dangerous placements of rips). I wore that grey hoodie all year long, too, along with the Govie t-shirt. Still rocking the ponytail.

This was taken in Ikea with my bestie before the start of freshman year of college. I think I did a pretty good job here, with the dark wash jeans and the cute vest. Unfortunately, that was the summer I decided to give myself bangs.

Ahh, freshman year of college. Still wasn't very interested in fashion, as you can tell by the hoodie/sweatpants combination that I rocked pretty much all year. Just getting worse and worse, I know. At least I traded in the ol' ponytail for a messy bun. Progress. Also, I'm wearing cute flats rather than men's shoes. Yes, I'm pretty sure I wore a pair of men's shoes through most of high school.

And this is still freshman year, after I'd cut my hair a bit shorter. That was a bad hair day. I had no idea how to style it because it was the wrong length for my kind of hair. Also, I'd like to point out that we were rock climbing, so of course I wasn't particularly dressed up, okay?

And this is just last year, sophomore year of college. I had cut my hair into its current pixie (and dyed it to an unfortunate orange tinge at the time, which was just starting to fade in this picture) and was wearing things like cardigans and black tights and prints. It was a magical time, and has continued to this day. Sometimes I even wear makeup!

Well, I hope you enjoyed a good laugh at my expense. I know I'd like to see a lot of other people (bloggers or not) do this as well. It's a lot of fun, and satisfying to see how far you've come. Well, in the fashion department, at least. I still haven't really figured out math or how to be social.

No comments: