Monday, November 15, 2010

Fashion Inspiration: How to Dress Like...

... A ballerina.

Not in the obvious, "I'm being a ballerina for Halloween" kind of way. When taking inspiration from something that can easily turn costumey, be it Padme from Star Wars or flowers, you have to take care not to let your outfit become too literal an interpretation. My advice would be to take key elements, colors, and moods from the source of inspiration and let that influence your outfit.

So for today's outfit inspiration--ballet--I made up three Polyvore sets that demonstrate how to get a ballerina-feel without looking like you're about to prance onto the stage.

Also note that none of the items I've used go above $50. I'm a college girl on a budget, and by a budget, I don't mean I can spend $80 on a blouse (yes, I'm talking to you, millions of misleading "Outfits for Girls on a Budget" articles). So rest assured that everything here is pretty darn affordable.

Now, the first one is, admittedly, the most literal:


This is a girly outfit for all you ballerinas-at-heart on the go. The cardigan and scrunchy socks will you keep you warm, while the cute tote will be handy for dragging all your stuff around. I like the mix of patterns between the leotard and cardigan, but also the matchy-matchiness provided by the heart-shaped stud earrings (which won't get in the way). Almost every girl has a pair of ballet flats (or should!) and leggings these days, so that part is easy. I would say the flirty skirt is the most ballet-inspired piece here, as it's very similar to a tutu, but the cool grey color keeps the drama toned back. Finally, keep your makeup soft and natural and throw your hair in a messy topknot, and you're good to go!

As for the second one, I took my inspiration from these promotional posters for the upcoming movie Black Swan:

They're very visually striking, using a lot of interesting contrast and a color scheme of red, white and black. So for this second look, I went for a more aggressive look to go with the powerfulness of the posters:

This is much less girly than the first outfit, and not as obviously ballet-inspired. Simple black jeggings (although skinny jeans would work too) help keep the slim silhouette of a dancer's legs while the contrasting prints of the cropped tee and cardigan mimic the intense details of the posters. I kept the color scheme of red, white and black, using black as the main color and adding pops of white and red. I love the pointy-toed red flats with the fantastic black laces. As for the details, some striking jewelry, a bold red lip, and a slouchy beanie complete the look. Also, note the small touch of including something literal (the feathered pin) in a small way.


For the final outfit, I decided to use a dress since I had used a skirt and pants already. This would be a good choice for a special night out (perhaps to the ballet?):


Here, I picked a dress that was fitted on top and flowy on the bottom, as is often seen on dancers. The nude-toned heels (which you can find anywhere for almost any price), paired with the sheer tights, will keep your graceful legs going on for miles. I also played with the mixture of gold and silver with the bangles and the gorgeous clutch. Finally, I added another small literal touch with feathers again in the form of earrings. This is more of a Black Swan-inspired detail rather than ballet-inspired in general, so you could exchange that for small ballet slipper earrings or tiny ballerina necklace.

And there you have it, my three takes on ballet-inspired style. What do you think? Would you wear any of the above outfits? Are you inspired by ballet, fashion-wise or in any other way? Share in the comments, and feel free to check out other outfits I've made on Polyvore for more fashion inspiration here.

No comments: