Sunday, March 28, 2010

Transitioning Between Seasons--And New Shoes!

Yesterday was freezing outside--around 40 degrees--so I reluctantly pulled my jacket and scarf back out from my winter drawer. Today, however, was much warmer and sunny, and I was happy to get a chance to wear my new cutoff shorts that I just made. So, if you've ever wondered how to transition from a winter to spring wardrobe, this is basically how I did it this week.

Here I'm wearing a cold weather outfit: my usual black jacket from Target, an old scarf and striped shirt of mine, denim cutoffs that I just made from an old pair of jeans, and brown sweater tights from T.J. Maxx.
I wasn't sure about the brown tights in this outfit, since I'm usually sort of hesitant about combining brown and black, but they are WARM, and it was freezing out. The shorts were really easy to make: after cutting them to a length that was a bit longer than desired, I rolled them twice to get rid of the fringed, cut-off look (sometimes I like that, but not for this pair). The only problem is that they keep coming unrolled, so I'll probably do some sewing to make them stay put.

Here's the spring version of this outfit:
I was obviously inspecting my legs in this picture and thinking, "Hm, I could do with some sun."Anyway, same shorts and striped T-shirt. I simply ditched the tights and traded the jacket in for a lighter cardigan from T.J. Maxx. I layered some necklaces and added a huge, cheap pair of sunglasses for accessories. But best of all:

...These new shoes that my boyfriend just bought for me! (Sorry for the blinding glare of my white, white leg. It was a mistake to take this right in front of the window.) They're Vera Wang Marjorum Dress Sandals from Kohl's, and they were originally $7o but were on sale for $40. I was lamenting to my boyfriend the fact that I couldn't get them, and he just insisted on buying them for me. Um, best boyfriend ever? I think so. Here's a better, if very pose-y shot of the shoes:
I love the combination of these heels and shorts because of how ridiculously long it makes my legs look. Trust me, my legs are not very long, but when I'm wearing these shoes, I'm almost five inches taller (they're a 4.5 inch heel, with a bit of a platform). They're definitely my new favorite spring/summer shoes, despite the fact that they're a bit painful to walk around in for too long. Hopefully they just need some breaking in. I can't wait to pair these shoes with a short floral dress or t-shirts and shorts in the spring and summer, and even with tights or thick knee-high socks in the fall.

It's supposed to rain the next two days, so it'll be back to the rainboots (although I love those too!) and warm clothes until later in the week, when it warms up again. I can't wait for this weekend: I'll be enjoying the sunny 70-degree weather, celebrating Easter at home with my family and boyfriend--and wearing my new shoes!

1 comment:

AtlantianHeart said...

I like the before-and-after, but I think you totally should have done the same pose for like a "now I have layers, now I don't! ta-da!" kind of effect :P And enough about showing off that your awesome bf bought you sexy heels for 40 chickens, haha - it's not fair!! :P