Monday, December 14, 2009

Top 5 Songs Getting Me Through This 7 Page Paper

Fuck finals week! While trying to stay sane and motivated (and awake!) enough to finish this horrible paper, I've spent a lot of time rocking out to the following:

1. Lady Gaga's Bad Romance: I was not a fan of Lady Gaga, at all, until I saw her new video. It's the craziest stuff ever, and I looove it. And the song was stuck in my head for days afterwards.

2. Madonna's Hung Up: After listening to/watching this, I've decided I need more Madonna in my life!

3. Okkervil River's Calling and Not Calling My Ex. I love Okkervil River--they're in my top 5 favorite bands, and Will Sheff is a genius who has such a way with words. Their songs make me happy and sad at the same time, especially this one. It's upbeat, but the lyrics reveal such a great, wistful story that everyone always wonders about: what happens to the friends or lovers left behind when someone becomes famous? Lyrics here, you need 'em.

4. Bjork's Big Time Sensuality. She's bizarre in this video, so much that it's almost awkward to watch, but it's all good because she obviously doesn't care about what people think, and the song's great.

5. The Ting Tings' That's Not My Name. My sister Kaila and I heard this on the radio while sitting in the car one day and we cranked it up and just started dancing to it right there in the parking lot. As soon as we got home we found it online. And then, a few days later, my boyfriend started playing it on his computer. I was shocked, since, well, Kaila and Josh rarely have the same tastes in music. Shocked, but thrilled. 'Cause it's a great song. THAT'S NOT MY NAME! You tell 'em, girl.

(Numbers 2 and 4 are thanks to this yes and yes blog post.)

No comments: