Wednesday, January 26, 2011

DIY



See this shoe? It's from ModCloth, is $240, and is the kind of thing that my boyfriend hates (really expensive, silly fashion). It's also something I (and you!) could very easily make. Just grab a pair of platform heels and go crazy with the super glue and colorful sequins. Is it unethical to basically steal someone else's shoe design to recreate it for yourself? I hope not... I do this all the time, with t-shirts, shoes, and more. It's not for profit; it's just a way for me to save a hunk of money and exercise my creativity.

Like this shirt-- it was $40, and I really loved it when I saw it, but I'm not the kind of person who can pay $40 for a t-shirt. So I grabbed a plain white tee and copied the design onto it myself. Voila, a new shirt for $0.

Monster Threads - Bear Tee - Birdsnest Buy Online

And mine:

It's not perfect--bears aren't really my forte--but it's darn close to the original and saved me $40.

Of course, you don't have to be some kind of artist to do DIY projects. A lot of it is simple, quick things. I've recently created a B&W striped cardigan simply by cutting an old shirt (that never fit properly) in half--a huge improvement for it--and I'm always on the lookout for unwanted shirts with nice designs to turn into scarves (again, just some simple snipping). The next chance I get, I'm totally going to attack a pair of heels with sequins and glue. I'll let you know how it goes! Leave a comment about your own DIY endeavors; I'd love to hear.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

FINALLY!!! And I've already told you I love your version of the shirt. It's fabulous. Those shoes, however, are something only Lady Gaga or my sister could pull off, haha :P

Kelly said...

c'mon, they're not THAT crazy. okay, maybe they are, but i'd tone them down in my version.

Anonymous said...

Also: rhinestones not sequins. Just sayin'.